Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Investing Thread

vCash

That's what I was looking for Moof. No need to qualify. Exploit the sh1t out of that rediculous match.

I didn't mean to exclude anyone. I just didn't want this to turn into a hot stock of the day thread.

Good stuff.
    pEmo

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MoOff24 View Post
    I don't really have any advice to give (not that people would want to hear it from me anyways) but I will share what I have going on.

Been at my current job for a little over 3 years (im 25 y/o now) Put away 5% of my salary and my employer matches that with an additional 10%...so I have putting away 15% over the last 3 years into mutual funds into my 403b. Dabble is the stock market a little bit but I don't really know what I am doing there so for the most part I stay away. Put a set amount of every paycheck into a savings account on smartypig.com...which always seems to have the best (although still minuscule) interest rate around. Eventually when I am done with school and the costs that go with it and have more disposable income I would like to begin to put some money away every month into large stable companies that have long history's of dividends...eg proctor gamble, coca cola

as I said...don't have anything to add but I am interested in reading this thread.
    I need to find a higher interest savings account. Is piggy better than ally? I have a lot of cash accumulated to buy a house in the next six months to a year, so I can't invest it.

vCash

If I have nothing through my employer, and want to"start" something on my own, what should I do?

vCash

Roth vs Traditional IRA's, can someone explain why I have/need both? lol. Looking for a simple explanation, I googled it but it gives me a headache.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan View Post
    I need to find a higher interest savings account. Is piggy better than ally? I have a lot of cash accumulated to buy a house in the next six months to a year, so I can't invest it.
    smartypig's rates look pretty good...

What I've been using for quite some time is Ford Interest Advantage (used to be called Ford Money Market Account)

http://www.fordcredit.com/interestadvantage/index.jhtml

It's not FDIC insured though, but they pay a very good interest rate. The money is slightly more liquid than a savings account IMO because you can write checks (and they give you free checks), but there's not debit card access.. But they have e-transfers / ach and all that stuff.

vCash

I went with smarty pig. Seemed the simplest and had a good rate.

vCash

What's smarty pig? I need to throw some cash in a liquid account.
    pEmo

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
    What's smarty pig? I need to throw some cash in a liquid account.
    Just an online savings account. Has some other features to help you save which I won't use.

vCash

Nice rate. I have some monies in a Chase savings account (emergency fund really) that has a rediculous rate. I think I'm going to start an account with Pig and move it there.

What are people doing for investments outside of retirement approaches? (401(k), IRAs, etc.)

I've been mostly in index funds, bonds, and a few individual stocks the past few years. Wondering if there are other areas I should look into.
    pEmo

vCash

What do you guys use for investing? I use Schwab. Not sure how much I like it really.
    pEmo

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
    Nice rate. I have some monies in a Chase savings account (emergency fund really) that has a rediculous rate. I think I'm going to start an account with Pig and move it there.

What are people doing for investments outside of retirement approaches? (401(k), IRAs, etc.)

I've been mostly in index funds, bonds, and a few individual stocks the past few years. Wondering if there are other areas I should look into.
    Other than my IRAs, and company stock plans, I have mostly the same. Several global equity funds, a few U.S. and individual foreign equity investments (about 30% total), some bonds, but not a lot (maybe 12%?), about 10% in money market funds for liquidity.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    -Thomas Jefferson