Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Burbridge, WR, Harrison HS (MI) - MSU VERBAL

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ep50 View Post
    UM holds its players to the same standard as MSU. The only school the conf to impose real standards on athletes is NU. Check out Carty's syory about UM's general studies and kinesiology (sp?) basocally being diploma mills for athletes.
    You are really talking about Carty? The same guy who lost his job after posting that story because of how stupid it was. Might as well mention Rosenberg and Snyder as well.
    Queme los Barcos!

All-Barney
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
    You are really talking about Carty? The same guy who lost his job after posting that story because of how stupid it was. Might as well mention Rosenberg and Snyder as well.
    Don't tgink he's a very good writer but a broken clock is right twice a day.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
    Isn't that what Harbaugh came out and said as well?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by knuckles311 View Post
    Isn't that what Harbaugh came out and said as well?
    Carty's story was about an easy professor. You know the spiel...players knew he was easy so they took the class and got an A for going.

His story was so generic and crappy that he now is relegated to writing blog posts on some random site.

But yes, Michigan, like every school not named Northwestern and Stanford, tends to steer the players towards easier classes and degrees to keep them eligible...because lets face it...most kids that choose Michigan, OSU, Florida, Bama, etc. are not going there for a degree.

Of course, you can also take a school like Bama, Auburn, Miss St, etc. where they will let any player in if they know the first letter of the alphabet but can't spell their name.
    Queme los Barcos!

All-Horton
    vCash

Wolvies still think UM holds its athletes to higher academic standards than the rest of the conference? Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

PS - tVest got scared of Ringer's knee injury and used grades as an excuse.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSpartyFan View Post
    Wolvies still think UM holds its athletes to higher academic standards than the rest of the conference?
    Queme los Barcos!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by knuckles311 View Post
    Not sure who does those rankings, but the 2011 US NEWS rankings, which are the most reputable by all accounts, have UM at #29 among national (not international) universities, and MSU at #79. He wants to major in engineering, where UM is #9 and MSU is #52. Yeah, there is a large difference, but don't act like picking MSU would be like picking community college.
    I'm in the process of trying to help my daughter decide where she'll swim in college. Ironically, she's a classmate of the Harrison Three (Funchess, Burbridge, Ojemudia). College ratings are all over the place. There was a fascinating story by Malcolm Gladwell (Outliers, Tipping Point) in the New Yorker. I have a file of it but don't think I can load it here because it's a PDF. If anyone is interested in it I can email it to them. Basically though, he makes the point about how USN&WR and others do the rankings of "Best Colleges". I'm not saying MSU should or shouldn't be included in any of them. It's a fine school, I'm sure, but I was stunned when I read the way he applied the details of some of the criteria.
    MotorCityJoe- Since 2007: You talking to me?
    Member #6583

All-Gehringer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FastFreddie View Post
    Wasn't there a story that Javon Ringer actually wanted to go to OSU, but couldn't qualify, so he ended up getting in at MSU?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSpartyFan View Post
    PS - tVest got scared of Ringer's knee injury and used grades as an excuse.
    ^^^^This. Tressel leaked that BS about Ringer not having the grades to get in so as to cover his ass when he pulled the offer after Javon hurt his knee and the Buckeye fans have been running with it ever since. Hell, they're still talking about it...there's a few guys in Ohio this year that are academically borderline and and the BuckeyePlanet crew company line is that they'll end up at MSU if they can't get into OSU. Just a total crock all the way around.

vCash

Visiting Michigan this weekend with Funchess and Ojumedia

Also says the rumors he is close to committing to Msu are false, but they are currently #1 for him
    Staring at my countdown clock and bulletin board material for motivation

Preparing to put a 5th straight beatdown on UM
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher_Boy View Post
    Visiting Michigan this weekend with Funchess and Ojumedia

Also says the rumors he is close to committing to Msu are false, but they are currently #1 for him
    I thought he didnt have the grades to get into UM so the default choice was MSU?
    "On my part, there will be no rest until it is the norm for the football season to open and anticipate that the season will end with the paint of roses on our cleats."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diehard View Post
    I thought he didnt have the grades to get into UM so the default choice was MSU?
    Never heard me say that and at this point does he have the grades to get in anywhere?
    Staring at my countdown clock and bulletin board material for motivation