Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 23 to 33 of 55

Thread: "Hank Aaron is a Coward" - Rob Parker

                  
   
  1. #23
    All-Barney SonicTemple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    116
    vCash
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraserburn View Post
    Mike and Mike are talking about this column from this mornings DetNews.

    Its pretty ballsy for anybody to even consider calling Aaron a coward let alone headlining your article with it.

    Aaron doesnt owe anybody an explanation for his actions, but hey thats just my opinion



    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...TS08/704200362

    I think this should be the column that gets Rob fired. There are 2 people in the african-american baseball community who should NEVER be referred to as cowards. Jackie Robinson and Hank Aaron. Jackie was more outspoken and active in civil rights, and Hank is more quiet and reserved. But both men showed tremendous personal strength and diginity throughout their careers and after they left the field.

    What Rob fails to remember is that Hank's stand has nothing to do with skin color. The fact is that Barry Bonds is the biggest @$$hole in sports - NOBODY likes the guy!!! Why should Hank lower himself to have to deal with that guy. Also - Hank is 72. He has paid his dues, and can do whatever the heck he wants at this point...

    GARBAGE COLUMN - GO AWAY PARKER.

  2. #24
    All-Inferno yourmom_is_hot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    22,958
    vCash
    4154

    Default

    bottom line like TommyZ said, Parker wrote this to be a media *****. He needs to do something to keep his name relevant. But I think he barked up the wrong tree with this one, I really think this was a classless move by Parker.

    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.


  3. #25
    All ACfromtheD Beard tommyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    33,296
    vCash
    1390000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SonicTemple View Post
    I think this should be the column that gets Rob fired. There are 2 people in the african-american baseball community who should NEVER be referred to as cowards. Jackie Robinson and Hank Aaron. Jackie was more outspoken and active in civil rights, and Hank is more quiet and reserved. But both men showed tremendous personal strength and diginity throughout their careers and after they left the field.

    What Rob fails to remember is that Hank's stand has nothing to do with skin color. The fact is that Barry Bonds is the biggest @$$hole in sports - NOBODY likes the guy!!! Why should Hank lower himself to have to deal with that guy. Also - Hank is 72. He has paid his dues, and can do whatever the heck he wants at this point...

    GARBAGE COLUMN - GO AWAY PARKER.
    I understand your point, but to say he should be fired is just plain ridiculous.
    "People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

  4. #26
    All-Inferno flemgoblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Troy
    Posts
    29,177
    vCash
    32140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYoshonis View Post
    I love how Parker thinks that, because he can't imagine any "other way to look at it," that there can't possibly be one. "Do what I want, or you're a coward!" How typically self-important.

    IMO, Aaron has said all he needs to by announcing his intention not to be there when his record is broken. His not descending into the realm of the "he said this, and then he said that" back-and-forth in the media is perfectly understandable, as another thing that Parker seems not capable of understanding is that avoiding annoyances is not the same as cowardice.

    Aaron has always been a man who has carried himself with class and dignity, without badmouthing anyone, and there is no reason for him to start now. He has earned the right not to have to answer the demands of two-bit outrage-mongers like Parker because of that class and dignity, more concepts with which Wobby is obviously unfamiliar.

    This guy is no better than the playground pest that everyone here remembers from school. "Hey, everybody! Look at me! I'm an independent thinker! If you like something, I think it sucks! See how tough and smart I am?"

    Pitiful.
    I would give you rep for this, but apparently i need to spread it around..

    for once, i actually completely agree with Scott..
    SI member# 1572
    Lions Seats Section 223 Row 5 seats 1-4

  5. #27
    Ive studied abroad or two Fraserburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Forest, Ontario
    Posts
    19,590
    vCash
    244268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyz View Post
    I understand your point, but to say he should be fired is just plain ridiculous.
    Maybe not fired, but I bet he loses a lot of respect within the baseball and journalist community

    Mike & Mike are bringing it back up in the next segment
    tune in
    Learning Taco Bell meat is not meat is like learning that cigarettes are addictive

  6. #28
    All ACfromtheD Beard tommyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    33,296
    vCash
    1390000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraserburn View Post
    Maybe not fired, but I bet he loses a lot of respect within the baseball and journalist community

    Mike & Mike are bringing it back up in the next segment
    tune in
    I could see that...But I still like Rob as a baseball guy. That is his love and know the game...
    "People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

  7. #29
    Ive studied abroad or two Fraserburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Forest, Ontario
    Posts
    19,590
    vCash
    244268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyz View Post
    I could see that...But I still like Rob as a baseball guy. That is his love and know the game...
    I dont know about you, but I cant imagine ANYBODY who knows and loves baseball calling Hank Aaron a coward.....even if it is to sell a few papers
    Learning Taco Bell meat is not meat is like learning that cigarettes are addictive

  8. #30
    All-Inferno yourmom_is_hot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    22,958
    vCash
    4154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraserburn View Post
    I dont know about you, but I cant imagine ANYBODY who knows and loves baseball calling Hank Aaron a coward.....even if it is to sell a few papers

    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.


  9. #31
    All-Barney SonicTemple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    116
    vCash
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyz View Post
    I understand your point, but to say he should be fired is just plain ridiculous.
    I can see your point as well, but I think for a columnist to become bigger than the story and attack an icon for his stance is ridiculous. What gives Parker the right to attack Aaron without knowing all of the facts? Hank always let his actions speak louder than his words. He doesnt need to get into a pissing contest with some no-name columnist from Detroit trying to stir the pot.
    I just think this was a horribly irresponsible column by Parker.

  10. #32
    All ACfromtheD Beard tommyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    33,296
    vCash
    1390000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SonicTemple View Post
    I can see your point as well, but I think for a columnist to become bigger than the story and attack an icon for his stance is ridiculous. What gives Parker the right to attack Aaron without knowing all of the facts? Hank always let his actions speak louder than his words. He doesnt need to get into a pissing contest with some no-name columnist from Detroit trying to stir the pot.
    I just think this was a horribly irresponsible column by Parker.
    I have no argument there.. I just find it real easy for people to say just fire him. If that is how he feels, I have no problem with that. I jsut disagree with him and would love for Mike and Terry to have him on to go at it..
    "People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

  11. #33
    Six out of Eight Lee Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Michigan, for God's sake!
    Posts
    31,249
    vCash
    1496360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYoshonis View Post
    I love how Parker thinks that, because he can't imagine any "other way to look at it," that there can't possibly be one.
    And that's different from 99.9% of the people that populate this message board, or just people in general how? Welcome to America.

    Parker's problem is that he's too stupid to see that Aaron has made his statement by deciding not to show up. Aaron is too classy to say anything bad about anyone, but his abscence will speak volumes.
    ďIím definitely not about to let my team lose two games in a row to Michigan.
    Itís just not going to happen. Iím not going to let my team do that."
    -- Kalin Lucas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •