Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 12 to 22 of 55

Thread: "Hank Aaron is a Coward" - Rob Parker

                  
   
  1. #12
    Ive studied abroad or two Fraserburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Forest, Ontario
    Posts
    19,590
    vCash
    244268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyz View Post
    There are people out there who feel the same as Rob. I dont but..It gets people to read. That is his job
    Sensationalism is for tabloids

    I'm all for hard hitting opinionated journalism, but come on
    Learning Taco Bell meat is not meat is like learning that cigarettes are addictive

  2. #13
    All-Barney AlBundy33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield
    Posts
    189
    vCash
    500

    Default

    It's just amazing to me how Rob Parker and Drew Sharp have not been run out of town with their negative journalism over the years.
    If you have a minute, check out http://dtrainsports.freemyforum.com ........it's currently a work in progress.

  3. #14
    All-Lindsay docmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Now coming to you from Augusta, Georgia
    Posts
    2,424
    vCash
    9555

    Default

    Amazing he even had the time to write something so stupid considering all the time he devotes to fellating Joe Dumars.

  4. #15
    All ACfromtheD Beard tommyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    33,294
    vCash
    1390000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlBundy33 View Post
    It's just amazing to me how Rob Parker and Drew Sharp have not been run out of town with their negative journalism over the years.
    Because it keeps getting read and talked about like it is now....
    "People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

  5. #16
    All-Inferno yourmom_is_hot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    22,958
    vCash
    4154

    Default

    this is stretching, even for Rob. This is Aaron's record because he did before anyone ever associated the terms "Balco", "HGH", "the Clear", "the Cream" with MLB. Aaron can do whatever he wants, he's earned it. If he doesn't want to be at the game because he might think Bonds earned it the dishonest way, then that's his choice. The guy is in his 70's, and if he doesn't want to do something, then he's not going to do it. I can't blame Aaron at all for not wanting to be a part of this fiasco. I think him being there would lend credibility to Bonds being there, and by him not attending speaks loud and clear.

    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.


  6. #17
    All-Greenberg ScottYoshonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    9,790
    vCash
    4186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyz View Post
    Disagree........I do agree with your point, but Rob is doing his job..
    So, the words "mindless, destructive controversy for its own sake" is in his job description? He's been told by his bosses to avoid, at all costs, presenting his perspective in a thoughtful, responsible way? I hardly think so.

    That sort of knee-jerk, in-your-face antagonism may be all the rage in sports reporting at the moment, but that doesn't make it right. One can create interest and spark discussion, and even make the same point that Parker tries to about how Aaron should be more forthcoming with his condemnation of Bonds, without resorting to the too-easy device of character assassination.

    Really, though, the thing that rubs me the wrong way about this piece (a word that takes on two meanings in this case) is Parker's statement that, "There's no other way to look at it," as if merely his saying so makes it true. All that shows is that he admits up front that he can't make a compelling argument, because if he could, he wouldn't have to say it.
    R.I.P. Same Old Spartans.

  7. #18
    All-Dumars FastFreddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    11,838
    vCash
    20617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraserburn View Post
    Exactly,
    Bonds hasnt come right out and said he cheated so why does Hank have to come right out and accuse Bonds cheated?
    Bingo! And like Scott said earlier, I call it class, Parker calls him a coward.

  8. #19
    All ACfromtheD Beard tommyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    33,294
    vCash
    1390000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYoshonis View Post
    So, the words "mindless, destructive controversy for its own sake" is in his job description? He's been told by his bosses to avoid, at all costs, presenting his perspective in a thoughtful, responsible way? I hardly think so.

    That sort of knee-jerk, in-your-face antagonism may be all the rage in sports reporting at the moment, but that doesn't make it right. One can create interest and spark discussion, and even make the same point that Parker tries to about how Aaron should be more forthcoming with his condemnation of Bonds, without resorting to the too-easy device of character assassination.

    Really, though, the thing that rubs me the wrong way about this piece (a word that takes on two meaning in this case) is Parker's statement that, "There's no other way to look at it," as if merely his saying so makes it true. All that shows is that he admits up front that he can't make a compelling argument, because if he could, he wouldn't have to say it.
    That is your opinion. He just has an opposite one.. Im in total agreement with your opinion. Dont get me wrong..I also agree with some of what you have to say..To call him a coward is utterly absurd.
    "People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

  9. #20
    All-Gehringer WarrenG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In a Runaway Toyota
    Posts
    1,465
    vCash
    3811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyz View Post
    There are people out there who feel the same as Rob. I dont but..It gets people to read. That is his job
    With a few mass media conglomerates (sp?) owning almost all of the newspapers, we are going to see more and more of this sensationalistic crap in print. The new motto is, if it's good enough for 24 hour cable news, then it's good enough to put in print.

  10. #21
    Ive studied abroad or two Fraserburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Forest, Ontario
    Posts
    19,590
    vCash
    244268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlBundy33 View Post
    It's just amazing to me how Rob Parker and Drew Sharp have not been run out of town with their negative journalism over the years.
    You cant always have your journalists blowing sunshine up the fans collective asses a la TO with the lions

    Drew Sharp may be negative 90% of the time, but most of the time his articles and points make perfect sense and he doesnt resort to what Scott aptly called "character assassination" to draw people in to read his articles


    The "talk" that Rob Parker is going to get from this article wont be about the article at all. They wont be debating his points or his views, they'll be debating the rightness or wrongness of him calling Hank Aaron a "Coward"

    To attract that kind of attention isnt in his job description, thats exactly what your supposed to avoid. He is now bigger than his own story

    I was always of the opinion that the story should be bigger than who's writing it. I guess I was wrong
    Learning Taco Bell meat is not meat is like learning that cigarettes are addictive

  11. #22
    All-Gehringer WarrenG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In a Runaway Toyota
    Posts
    1,465
    vCash
    3811

    Default

    Does anyone else find it hypocritcal that, Mr. Rob - let me get on my hands and knees for the home team so that I don't upset them and risk alienating them - Parker, is calling someone else a coward for not saying what they really feel???

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •