Thread: Roy Manning hired as Michigan's new OLB coach

vCash

football Roy Manning hired as Michigan's new OLB coach

Roy Manning tweeted that he's going to be LB coach at U of M.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan View Post
    Roy Manning tweeted that he's going to be LB coach at U of M.
    Good deal, was a solid player here who had to work hard, and I read he is a great recruiter.
    "Between the promise and the payoff is the process -- and the process is the point."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GoBlue75 View Post
    Good deal, was a solid player here who had to work hard, and I read he is a great recruiter.
    The best coaches are the one's that did not have superstar talent. The best coaches usually had to work a little harder as players.
    "the world will know soon enough if Millen in fact acted alone."

vCash

Roy Manning played linebacker for five seasons at Michigan, and was named the team's top player at that position in 2004. He later spent one season in Ann Arbor as a graduate assistant.

Now, he's coming "home."

Michigan confirmed Monday afternoon that Manning has been hired as the team's outside linebackers coach. He fills the opening created by former defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery taking a job at Oklahoma.

"I'm excited to come back home to the University of Michigan," Manning said in a statement released by the school. "I played and went to school here, and there is no place like it, anywhere.

"I want to thank Coach (Brady) Hoke and the rest of the staff for giving me this opportunity. I understand the significance of saying, 'I am a Michigan Man,' and I will work every day to make our kids better players, students and, most importantly, people. It is a tremendous honor to be here, and now it is time to go to work."

Manning indicated earlier in the day the move was coming after he changed his Twitter bio to reflect his new position.

Michigan did not replace Montgomery with a defensive line coach because it feels confident in the expertise of defensive coordinator Greg Mattison and Hoke. Mattison will add defensive line coach to his official title, while Hoke will work with the tackles without a title change.

Mark Smith's title will change from linebackers coach to inside linebackers coach, while Manning works with the outside linebackers.

Hoke said in a statement he identified Manning as a future coaching candidate when he worked on the Michigan staff in 2011.

"Roy was a graduate assistant for us in 2011, and we always knew if there was ever an opportunity to bring him back, we would love to," Hoke said. "We think he's one of the top young coaches in our profession. He knows our expectations. He knows what it means to wear that winged helmet. He knows Michigan."

Manning hails from Saginaw and played linebacker at Michigan from 2000-04. He had a three-year NFL career before retiring and moving on to coaching.

He began as a defensive assistant at Cincinnati in 2010, then took the offensive graduate assistant job at Michigan in 2011. He returned to the Bearcats in 2012, coaching the tailbacks, before taking the same job at Northern Illinois in January.

A couple months later, he's headed back home.
    http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde...lbs_coach.html

vCash

I don't remember him at all.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Hand View Post
    I don't remember him at all.
    I remember him playing. He looked like LT in pads but didn't play like it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan View Post
    I remember him playing. He looked like LT in pads but didn't play like it.
    I remember Roy Manning Jr. For some reason the lack of "Jr" threw me off. I'm slow witted.