Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OGT: Miami Marlins @ Detroit Tigers (Lakeland) 3/26/2012

vCash

baseball OGT: Miami Marlins @ Detroit Tigers (Lakeland) 3/26/2012

Yes, the Tigers sent out Audy Ciriaco this morning, but he’s sticking around for a day to start at third base while Brandon Inge serves as the designated hitter.

TIGERS

Austin Jackson, CF
    Brennan Boesch, RF
    Jhonny Peralta, SS
    Prince Fielder, 1B
    Delmon Young, LF
    Alex Avila, C
    Ryan Raburn, 2B
    Brandon Inge, DH
    Audy Ciriaco, 3B

P: Rick Porcello
    http://beck.mlblogs.com/2012/03/26/m...rs-vs-marlins/

vCash

Andy Dirks replaces Delmon Young in LF for 4th inning. Not sure whether that was planned.
    https://twitter.com/#!/beckjason/sta...36846908698624

vCash

Delmon Young left game with a sore left knee. He's day-to-day. #Tigers
    https://twitter.com/#!/beckjason/sta...41054189871104

vCash

Classic Porcello today...plenty of contact, but tons of grounders. Ten ground ball outs compared to one fly ball out, and two double plays.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBrown View Post
    Classic Porcello today...plenty of contact, but tons of grounders. Ten ground ball outs compared to one fly ball out, and two double plays.
    I still dont know how to feel about Porcello. I know he is still fairly young and has plenty of upside im just not sure. If he could ever become a top of the rotation kind of pitcher we will be set for many years with Verlander, Fister, Porcello and Sherzer.
    It makes no sense being pessimistic, it wouldn’t help anyway!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ryedog View Post
    I still dont know how to feel about Porcello. I know he is still fairly young and has plenty of upside im just not sure. If he could ever become a top of the rotation kind of pitcher we will be set for many years with Verlander, Fister, Porcello and Sherzer.
    Pitchers can go in so many directions that it's really not safe to say what might become of his career. To this point I have only seen flashes that suggest he could become a #3 starter or better. However, when you say he's "fairly young" I say that he's still really young. He'll spend this entire year, his 4th as a Major League starter, as a 23-year-old. Verlander was 23 in his rookie season, and it took him a good four years to figure it out, and six years to hit his peak. And then look at somebody like Tom Glavine. His first three+ years in the majors kind of sucked, but then in his 4th year something clicked and he won 20 games and the Cy Young.

I'd say there's pretty strong evidence that Porcello is what he is at this point, but I'm certainly not ready to close the book on him.

vCash

Pitchers can go in so many directions that it's really not safe to say what might become of his career. To this point I have only seen flashes that suggest he could become a #3 starter or better. However, when you say he's "fairly young" I say that he's still really young. He'll spend this entire year, his 4th as a Major League starter, as a 23-year-old. Verlander was 23 in his rookie season, and it took him a good four years to figure it out, and six years to hit his peak. And then look at somebody like Tom Glavine. His first three+ years in the majors kind of sucked, but then in his 4th year something clicked and he won 20 games and the Cy Young.

I'd say there's pretty strong evidence that Porcello is what he is at this point, but I'm certainly not ready to close the book on him.
    Yeah, i guess what I meant by fairly young is that he really young. I agree with everything you said and Im certainly not giving up on him yet.
    It makes no sense being pessimistic, it wouldn’t help anyway!

vCash

I think CB should be obligated to grade our fantasy teams and gives opinions.

Should I have as big a rookie hard-on as I do for Matt Moore? I probably grabbed him a round or two too early, but I think he can win 15 games and fan 175 in his sleep, even if TB puts a leash on him (which they wont).
    Hard-ons in Matt Moore's direction are advisable.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by General283 View Post
    I think CB should be obligated to grade our fantasy teams and gives opinions.

Should I have as big a rookie hard-on as I do for Matt Moore? I probably grabbed him a round or two too early, but I think he can win 15 games and fan 175 in his sleep, even if TB puts a leash on him (which they wont).
    Hard-ons in Matt Moore's direction are advisable. I don't think I've ever seen anyone throw 96-99 as easily as this kid does, and his secondary pitches are also filthy. You'll definitely get Ks with him, and though he's had control issues in the past, he probably should post a good WHIP too. The Rays don't have a ton of offense, and Wins are undependable as it is, so I wouldn't count on those, but he certainly has the talent to win 15 games.

vCash

Thanks for the new signiture quote CB

vCash

I still can't believe how young Porky is...

PLEASE, just PLEASE don't rush Turner, don't even THINK about bringing him to Detroit this year- if the competition/talent pool is really as deep as they're saying (5 guys in mix), that's all the season NOT to rush JT.

and CB, you mention the groundball vs flyball thing for porky, and that's good, right? I think I remember some talk (somewhere) about how he has a good sinker, and I think Leyland doesn't like him straying from that TOO much (I believe there was a start this spring where Leyland said he threw too many fastballs?) - and when that Sinker is "On" it induces more groundballs (which was a concern for this defense)... So in summary:

= Good for Porky?