Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World's Greatest Mom Builds Ultimate Cardboard Race Car

vCash

Default World's Greatest Mom Builds Ultimate Cardboard Race Car

World's Greatest MomSo lets say that you are one of those people that has a child that is race car obsessed.

And lets also say that you are a pretty big fan of Formula 1 racing yourself, in particular the Red Bull Team and F1 champ Sebastian Vettel, so much so that you have hand knitted your child his very own Red Bull sweater. But not only are you racing obsessed, you have mad home crafting skills.

The kind of crafting skills that would make Martha Stewart, Joy Shimabukuro, Bob Villa.. or hell, even Jessie James, Rick Dale or Chip Foose get down on their knees and bow to you.

World's Greatest MomYour child really enjoys playing the Formula 1 racing game, and wants you to go get one of those gamer race stations, the ones with the realistic seat and steering wheel and pedals and all that jazz. But honestly, its just kind of outside your budget. I mean, they get upwards a $1000 for a really good one of those.

Then one day, you sitting in your rocking chair, watching your son play video games, looking at some card boxes sitting over against the wall and you think to yourself. I could build little johnny a race station out of those card board boxes.

Realize, Mom has some pretty serious home crafting skills (as mentioned above) and she has a wicked sharp pair of scissors and an imagination which basically has no bounds.

If you were to take this box and that box, and make a cut here and make a cut there. Tape this to that, add a little structural support there and we have ourselves a rear wing and an air intake. I'll take this old cushy kids chair and make that the cockpit.

Next, we will slice off the sides of those longer boxes and tape them to the chair and now we have side pods. Its still a little bit rough looking, but I bet you can see the race car coming to life !

The next steps will be to add even more authentic looking parts and pieces.

World's Greatest MomWorld's Greatest MomWorld's Greatest Mom
    "Number 43 added Four Trillion Dollars by his lonesome. That's irresponsible. Its unpatriotic." Barack Obama

vCash

Okay, now its time to take it to the Nxt LvL. Lets add some winglets and air dams, put a rear wing on, start adding some front suspension parts. The making tubes by rolling cardboard is a bit of a challenge, without a doubt, but when you are the World's Greatest Mom, nothing is going to stop you !!

When it becomes time to start fab on the nose pieces, even the World's Greatest Mom starts to run into trouble. In her own words "Struggled to reproduce the "step nose" feature can be said of this year's F1 machine, no, somehow succeeded to give the atmosphere while still writhe in great agony." You go out, get a full sheet vinyl, do some more tape cutting and slowly but surely, you have the foundation completed and your ready to finish.

"Number 43 added Four Trillion Dollars by his lonesome. That's irresponsible. Its unpatriotic." Barack Obama

vCash

Heat shrink and vinyl sheet wrapping in place, the car is now structurally all tied together. Now its time to start adding paint and stickers. Since you've been posting your progress on your blog, Team Red Bull has now taken notice and they are helping you out by sending you some authentic race stickers and other items. Now you do some intense painting and add some finishing touches.. and BANG !! You have now created the Ultimate Cardboard Racecar and without a doubt, wrapped up the prize for "World's Greatest Mom" in the process.

World's Greatest MomWorld's Greatest Mom

World's Greatest Mom

If you read Japanese and want to see the whole complete story : http://www.gogogohawaii.com/

vCash

I suppose, somewhere down in North Carolina, there is a NASCAR Dad who is going to take up this challenge. Right now, this is about the best NASCAR cardboard car we could find.. and its lacking.

World's Greatest Mom

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RickFromFowler View Post
    Heat shrink and vinyl sheet wrapping in place, the car is now structurally all tied together. Now its time to start adding paint and stickers. Since you've been posting your progress on your blog, Team Red Bull has now taken notice and they are helping you out by sending you some authentic race stickers and other items. Now you do some intense painting and add some finishing touches.. and BANG !! You have now created the Ultimate Cardboard Racecar and without a doubt, wrapped up the prize for "World's Greatest Mom" in the process.\

If you read Japanese and want to see the whole complete story : http://www.gogogohawaii.com/
    Mom has to be an industrial designer or a sculptor at the very least. Incredible.
    MotorCityJoe- Since 2007: You talking to me?
    Member #6583

vCash

My mom would have given me a plain box, game boy, and some pop
    Queme los Barcos!

vCash

That's actually pretty damn impressive.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWhat View Post
    That's actually pretty damn impressive.
    X2! I was totally impressed.
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. - Confucius

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by motorcityjoe611 View Post
    Mom has to be an industrial designer or a sculptor at the very least. Incredible.
    Moms are willing to go that extra extra mile to make their kids happy.
    I Hate Michigan State University But Love Their Women

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by motorcityjoe611 View Post
    Just Japanese.
    I realize I'm putting this here for you to read... but please, don't talk about it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ACfromtheD View Post
    Just Japanese.