Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to adopt a new dog- perhaps a German Shepherd or Boxer

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by flemgoblue View Post
    If i'm going to get a dog, i'm going to make sure that i'm set up for success, not for a pain in the ass for the life of the dog. My current dog is a purebread shepherd that we got from a rescue. She is basically a behavioral disaster, we have spent years trying to reverse the behavior she learned in the first 6-8 months of her life. She has severe separation anxiety and territorial issues. Luckily, she is phenominal with my 2 year old. My whole point is, buying a dog is a huge commitment, one that most people aren't willing to devote the amount of time that it takes to have a well behaved dog, which is ultimately way better off for the dog and the owner. If you get a dog from a GOOD breeder, then youre getting the dog at the best possible time to begin training and generally with the best disposition to be trained. I get that people want to save a dog. and if its the right owner, then thats fine, unfortunately 75% or more of owners dont want to deal with any extra-curriculurs. they just want a plug and play pet
    Do you have a link where I can get the updated drivers for Pet 2.0, and is it compatible with Mac OS or Windows 7?

vCash

I get it, you don't want to put it any extra work. I'm not being a dick, either. If you got the means then go for it.
    Sent from my

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Mays Hayes View Post
    I get it, you don't want to put it any extra work. I'm not being a dick, either. If you got the means then go for it.
    No, you dont get it.. i'm the guy who puts in a ton of work on it.. and even if you buy a purebred its a ton of work. i'm making the assumption that most people on here having the discussion, fall in the 75+%, not the minority. therefore, i'm saying that they'd be better off buying the purebred. I'm also saying that your chances of getting a dog with behavioral issues is significantly increased when you dont get a puppy at the right age and when you dont get a purebred dog that suits your expectations for a pet.
    SI member# 1572
    Lions Seats Section 223 Row 5 seats 1-4

vCash

Not necessarily. While there is no quantitative value in rescuing, there is a value that people place on saving a life. I think you're looking at this too much like purchasing a TV.

FWIW, lots of purebreds in rescue started as a $1,500 Christmas present, etc.
    Saving a life?

Enjoy your steak tonight #savethecows

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan View Post
    Saving a life?

Enjoy your steak tonight #savethecows
    I don't think I need to explain the difference between a pet and a farm animal meant to be food.

P.S. you buying?
    Sent from my

vCash

I don't think I need to explain the difference between a pet and a farm animal meant to be food.

P.S. you buying?
    HAHA, solid
    SI member# 1572

vCash

No, you dont get it.. i'm the guy who puts in a ton of work on it.. and even if you buy a purebred its a ton of work. i'm making the assumption that most people on here having the discussion, fall in the 75+%, not the minority. therefore, i'm saying that they'd be better off buying the purebred. I'm also saying that your chances of getting a dog with behavioral issues is significantly increased when you dont get a puppy at the right age and when you dont get a purebred dog that suits your expectations for a pet.
    Keyword: extra

All dogs are work.
    Sent from my

vCash

Keyword: extra

All dogs are work.
    I already have put in the extra work and thousands of dollars after the fact between house repairs early on to training, etc.. just to get the dog to an "acceptable" level of behavior. still not ideal. If i had my way, every dog we got from here on out would be purebred, but knowing my wife, we'll end up at a rescue again. which means i'll be putting in the "extra" work all over again.
    SI member# 1572

vCash

Ive had a dog from a "breeder", my Lhasa Apso..A dog from a "kennel" in Detroit, my Pit bull. And a dog from a rescue in Temperance, my Pekingese..All dogs have been great..But my wife has done a good job with them
    "People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

vCash

I already have put in the extra work and thousands of dollars after the fact between house repairs early on to training, etc.. just to get the dog to an "acceptable" level of behavior. still not ideal. If i had my way, every dog we got from here on out would be purebred, but knowing my wife, we'll end up at a rescue again. which means i'll be putting in the "extra" work all over again.
    We're going in circles. I get what you're saying I really do. Your experience has shaped you one way, the only thing I was trying to say was that your situation is not the rule, more of an exception.

I'm the opposite, next time I get a dog, I want an adult. Puppies are cute but stupid as **** and annoying to train.
    Sent from my

vCash

Having owned multiple dogs over the past 34 years, 2 days and 7 hours of my life... We have owned thru rescued, adoption (from other families) and purebred's from a certified breeder...

Having seen all sides of the spectrum... It's tough to disagree with KIA jr. He's pretty spot on.

There's a reason why certain rescue societies require you to fill out applications. They recognize that more people just want that "plug and play" pet and don't realize what goes into ownership. Hell, For pure breed rescues for like Huskies and Shepherds... Our applications were declined because they didn't feel we had all the requirements to fully tend to the animals needs. A lot of dogs hav distinct personality traits that require a certain amount of attention. When you go to a shelter or humane society... You have no clue what you are getting. Unfortunately they don't either... So they can't be as specific in the ownership requirements as te breed specific rescues will be... And they will make more exceptions then most. Do you really want to take a flyer on an animal in this way? After our first two rescues went bad (1 pure bred, 1 mutt)... We decided we wanted some predictability in our next pets.

Each to their own... Like I said, you can get a great dog at a rescue, but you're rolling the dice more. With a breed like a shepherd... You almost can't take that chance. Flem is proof of what can go wrong.